Recent Purchases | A 'Came Highly Recommended' Book Haul.

2



I don't generally follow recommendations when it comes to books. I usually like to browse through books in shops or online and figure out what I'd like. There's something lovely about finding a gem among rows and rows of choice, and going into a book with no expectations and knowing very little about it. However this Sunday I found myself buying three books, all because other people who share my reading tastes have read and loved them and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. 

The Vegetarian - Han Kang (trans. Deborah Smith)

I've seen this doing the rounds on Booktube, and have become intrigued by the praise it's been receiving. It seems like every booktuber I enjoy and respect the opinion of loves this book, while a few whose tastes differ vastly from my own were not impressed. It's a dark, gnarly portrayal of South Korean family dynamics and as I've been wanting to read more books in translation and non - white authors, love shorter books and am a sucker for strange unsettling slightly creepy stories, this seemed perfect for me.

All the Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr

Ok so I knew this was about a blind girl in WWII. And honestly that is a premise I felt like I would hate. It sounded like another Boy in the Striped Pyjamas and that is a book I honestly hate. Nothing annoys me more than a book that just cranks out the sad to try and pull the heartstrings and roll in the money. So this was on my 'never going to read this list for several months, however one my oldest friends Holly and my buddy and fellow bookseller Kieran both absolutely love that book have specifically told me I need to read it. So I'm taking the plunge and giving it a try. I'm actually about 50 pages in and honestly I'm really liking it so far!

All the Birds in the Sky - Charlie Jane Anders

I had seen this book on various tables at work. I really liked the cover but never found myself interested enough to pick it up and turn it over to see what it's about. I figured it was probably one of those stories that's described as 'a dazzling portrayal of childhood and identity' or some shit like that. However I started to see it cropping up over Booktube and blogs, and again it seemed to be loved by everyone who shares my  tastes. It turns out it's about a mad scientist and a witch who team up to save the world...which sounds amazing!!

I'm really looking forward to reading these now, and if I enjoy them I'll probably find myself taking recommendations more often!

Thanks for reading,
Isabelle
xox 




2 comments

  1. I sort of felt like All the Light We Cannot See quickly became a must-read, so I did, and it really was beautifully written. I enjoyed reading it, but to be quite frank, I wasn't really that entertained. Good, but not mind blowing to me, but I'm still glad I read it :)

    // www.moonlitmadness.dk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely getting that impression. This is feeling like a slow burning read so far x

      Delete

Thankyou for your comments! I love reading your thoughts :)

Instagram

© Folded Paper Foxes. Design by MangoBlogs.