Twenty One

21




Well where have the years gone? Or at least that's what all of my various relatives have enjoyed asking all day. Honestly I don't have an answer, aside from maybe 'wasted on Tumblr'. 

Although I'm writing this today, on the 30th, I imagine it will not go up until tomorrow, which means that yesterday was my birthday! (I feel like a very confused Time Lord) I turned the big two-one, which is weird age, because I feel like it's the last milestone age for a long time, next time my age is a big deal I'll be forty! Isn't that terrifying? Regardless I had an absolutely lovely day and was spoiled rotten by my lovely family and friends and wanted to share my day with you. 



I knew me, my parents and brother were going out for lunch the afternoon of my birthday. What I did not know was that a big cluster of relatives had come a long way to surprise me! It was lovely, we went to The Marchmont Arms, which does sort of posh pub food, you know the type, and as we were guided to our table I couldn't help noticing the big pink monstrosity hovering over our table, like a girly Nativity Star. When we got closer all my relatives cheered and started singing Happy Birthday in tones typical of my Irish-Mancunian heritage... It was a case of grinning and bearing. The table also bore a huge bucket of treats, seen above, featuring possibly the most mentally unstable looking gingerbread man I've ever clapped eyes on. Luckily I turned him to face my brother so I didn't have to look into those eyes. Also a round of applause goes to my Dad for managing to Photo-bomb every decent shot I got of the gingerbread psycho. 



There were many ultra fancy schmancy options on the menu featuring names of seafood I couldn't pronounce and phrases like 'laid tenderly on a bed of basil leaves.' But in the end I went for a burger. It was pretty impressive when it turned up I think you'll agree. Nothing says fancy establishment like eating off a chopping board and having your chips in a bucket. It was absolutely delicious and of course I couldn't pass up the opportunity to enjoy chocolate and vanilla gelato, topped with a homemade (still warm! Ahhhh!) cookie. It's definitely one of the nicest meals I've had in a long time, and being in the company of my wonderfully rowdy and hilarious (and slightly drunk) relatives just made the day even more special. 


After the lunch and a quick disco nap I was given my main presents: The two Folio Society Editions of classic books and the amazing perfume Sartorial by Penhaligon's, all of which are pictured at the top of this post. In a fun twist, mum's first inkling of my interest in the perfume, came from her reading this wishlist post. So now I know how to hint! I also got plenty of cash from people, which, unfortunately will mostly go towards boring things like rent, and being able to eat. Afterwards I was whisked off for a little shopping spree with some of my most loved friends and I was so busy having a great time that I forgot to take any pictures! But I was treated to a few beauty bits, a nice LUSH selection and a few books so I consider myself a very very lucky girl indeed. I'm actually having a bit of a quiet night in now, as I don't think I could handle three big social things in one day, I'm already exhausted! But it was a lovely day and I do consider myself so very fortunate to be surrounded by such wonderful people. 


I hope you had a lovely weekend, let me know what you got up to!


21 comments

  1. Happy birthday! 21 is awesome :)

    http://lifeslikearoadwetravelon.blogspot.com/
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a lovely day, happy birthday! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday for yesterday! Sounds like a really lovely one :)


    Gemma
    fadedwindmills.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gemma :) Haha I think I overused that word a little here ;) x

      Delete
  4. holy moly that burger looks incredible! <3

    http://britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy late birthday, sounds perfect! Especially with the crazy gingerbread man. I love going in to pubs where they put the chips in a tiny bucket it's just extra great hahaha. Time flies!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Amy :) Haha it's such a cute touch, but it makes me laugh to think that in fancy places I have to eat food off wooden boards and out of buckets, as if they have no plates and are just making do! x

      Delete
  6. Happy 21st! It looks like you had an amazing day, that food... xx

    Leanne - A Slice of My Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! Looks like such a fun day :D That gelato with the cookie looks SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! 21 was an amazing year for me, and everyone I know, actually, haha! I'm sure it will be awesome for you. Glad you had such a good time. Family is a beautiful thing, isn't it? xoxoxox

    http://thepersephonecomplex.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of people are saying that! I hope it's true, I could use a straight up great year! Thankyou my lovely xxx

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday! Sounds like a fun filled day :) I think 30 counts as the next important birthday anyway!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel :) Haha true, only 9 years to wait then! x

      Delete
  10. Ahh Happy Birthday lovely lady! I love that your family surprised you, that's so sweet! Also love the menacing gingerbread man hehe! <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou my love :) Oh yes he was one of the highlights! x

      Delete

Thankyou for your comments! I love reading your thoughts :)

Instagram

© Folded Paper Foxes. Design by MangoBlogs.