Reading Plans | October Edition

8


Hey look! It's been less than a month since I last posted! What are the chances?

So I'm back at university and you know what that means, my already unimpressive blogging consistency takes a nosedive. But I am trying to keep up some regularity and have been reading all my favourite blogs even if I haven't had the time to leave any thoughtful or insightful comments. 


I thought I'd keep the ball rolling by featuring my October 'TBR' books (I term I'm stealing from BookTube). I mentioned on my Instagram how much I liked that they were all quite colour appropriate for the autumn and, although none of them are especially 'spooky' they all sound quite dark and creepy and great for Halloween reads.

The Gunslinger ~ Stephen King


I'm a big fan of Stephen King but I've never tried his long running fantasy series, which is bizarre because I love me some fantasy. The Gunslinger is the first in what I usually see described as something like 'A Western style Game of Thrones' which sounds really fun. I mentioned a while ago that since finishing what's written of the A Song of Ice and Fire books and the entirety of the Emperor's Edge Chronicles (which I'll be reviewing in the coming weeks) I've missed having a series on the go. There's something so great about a big world with characters you spend a lot of time with so I'm hoping this'll rekindle my spirits and give me another fantasy world to flail hopelessly over. 


The Shining Girls ~ Lauren Beukes

I know next to nothing about this book but my friend Holly has said it's amazing and she has excellent literary tastes so I'm looking forward to it. I get the impression it's a crime thriller in the vein of the Gillian Flynn books but with some type of supernatural/ magic realism elements to it so I'm really intrigued. It's not the genre of books I usually go for but I'm always looking to branch out so I'm excited to try something new.

Alias Grace ~ Margaret Atwood

For those who don't know, I love me some Margaret Atwood. She's a sassy bamf who writes awesome literary fiction in a wide variety of genres but that all fit together in a very distinct style. I'm actually lucky enough to be studying a module dedicated to her this year so that's really exciting! This is one of three books on the reading list I have yet to tackle and it's one of her chunkier ones. It's historical fiction of sorts surrounding the true story of Grace Marks who is accused of murdering her employer in 1840's Canada. I'm already a few chapters in and enjoying it so far, though like all Atwood novels you have to let the narrative wind round you for a bit before she closes in on you and smacks you in the face with her sheer amazing-ness.


So that's what I'm hoping to read in the next few weeks. I will probably review The Shining Girls independently, Alias Grace along with a few other Atwoods (I'll have read eight by the end of the year so I'll probably review them in groups.) and The Gunslinger depends, I may wait and see if I read on in the series before I form any major thoughts.

Let me know what you think or if you've read any of these books. I should be back in the next few days with some beauty and skincare so stick around and I have a free day Wednesday so I'm going to come and perv on all your blogs and catch up with you all.

8 comments

  1. The Shining Girls looks interesting. I think it's always good to try out something you usually wouldn't go for :)
    Hayley
    Water Painted Dreams xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, otherwise you'll never come across new favourites!

      Delete
  2. You know what as bad as it seems I haven't read ANY stephen king books before, i guess it's never too late to start xxx



    Blondeofcarbs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No definitely not! I'd really recommend him :)

      Delete
  3. I've had The Gunslinger on my shelf for what must be three or more years now, one day I will get around to reading it :)
    Amy x | A Little Boat Sailing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have loads of books like that, I always want to clear up my 'unread' pile, but I buy them faster than I read them!

      Delete
  4. Fabulous choices, it looks like you're in for a fabulous reading month! I need to read some Atwood asap! <3 x

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for your comments! I love reading your thoughts :)

Instagram

© Folded Paper Foxes. Design by MangoBlogs.